In the absence of the regular classroom teacher, the substitute teacher will help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms.
- Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by the classroom teacher.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clears whiteboard, etc.
- Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Indicates to students at beginning of class the basic expectations for behavior in the class in accordance with Atlas Preparatory School policies.
- Insures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom.
- Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Knows procedures for referring students with disciplinary problems.
- Knows school procedures and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as directed by principal.
Qualifications and Experience
- Successful manager of an urban classroom who has used structure, incentives, and high expectations to drive student success.
- Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with low skill level in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting.
- Flexibility and initiative necessary.
- Substitute teaching experience preferred.
Compensation will be $100 per day.
An exceptional candidate will assume a part time role immediately.
Commitment to Diversity
Atlas Preparatory School is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced team of educators. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability status, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Why should I work at Atlas Prep?
Four words: Vanguard, Purpose, Opportunity, and Lifestyle. This is your chance to
- VANGUARD: Help establish the first high performing urban charter school in Colorado Springs that unequivocally closes the achievement gap
- PURPOSE: Deliver heroic results for the students who need it the most
- OPPORTUNITY: Grow as a highly talented professional in a highly supported professional community that includes faculty with degrees from Stanford, Harvard, Penn, Colorado College, and Georgetown among others
- LIFESTYLE: Enjoy a professional and personal lifestyle in a fabulous urban mountain city
How do I apply for a position at Atlas Prep?
Interested candidates should watch the Employment Video and read through all materials posted on the employment section of the website. Instructions for what application materials are requested are listed above and include the submission of the following: Resume, Two References, and the Inquiry Form.
Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
What is the student demographic Atlas Prep intends to serve?
Atlas Prep is chartered through Harrison School District Two because it is a historically underserved and underperforming district in Colorado Springs. We currently serve a student of approximately 915 students in the 5th through 12th grade that is 93% free and reduced lunch, 68% Hispanic, 14% African-American, and 9% White.